(Download IAMU Application form)
Job Training & Safety (JT&S) Coordinator
The Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities (IAMU) is seeking a knowledgeable professional to provide leadership, training, support, and serve as a resource to its 755 municipal utility members; more specifically to its approximately 450 safety contract members. IAMU, located in Ankeny (just north of Des Moines, IA) is a trade association serving cities that operate electric, gas, water and/or broadband utilities in Iowa. The association’s state-of-the-art training & office complex includes an 11-acre Safety and Training Field where many hands-on exercises are held.
- Plan and facilitate instruction and implement workshops and safety training programs for members, in compliance with regulations issued under OSHA, DOT, EPA, and others
- Lead and inspire the JT&S department staff
- Support IAMU various committees
- Visit member utilities and participate in accident investigation, and inspections
- Serve as an advocate for municipal utilities in Iowa
Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university
- Preferred disciplines: occupational safety and health (S&H); environmental S&H; safety or environmental management or science; engineering
- Preferred certifications include: ASP, CSP, CIH
- Eight to ten years of progressively responsible positions that have provided a thorough understanding of and broad background in OSHA; and corresponding knowledge associated with safety and health matters
- Designed and implemented OSH programs
- Leadership and has worked in a team environment
- Monitored regulatory arena for new/changing regulations and rulemaking
- Communicated with all business units pertaining to OSH
- Evaluated programs, issued recommendations and implemented changes
- Compiled metrics and key performance indicators
- Provided recommendations to executive management
- Created and managed budget for OSH activities
- Provided support for business units during regulatory inquiries
- Organized and conducted OSH conferences
- Worked with HR to manage workers’ compensation claims and return to work programs
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent human relations and verbal/written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent customer skills along with being an effective leader that inspires, motivates and is a team player
- Must have effective decision making skills and a high level of integrity and the ability to be adaptable and to take initiative. Attention to detail and accuracy is required
- Government regulations, safety compliance and industrial hygiene
- Understands financial implications, P&L, bottom line, ROI and payback
- Business acumen
- Strategic thinking abilities
- Ability to influence
- Team player with passion, drive and the ability to self-start
Physical Demand Summary
Essential Function Physical Demands
Standing Stand to work at 42” counter for up to 5 minutes at a time.
Walking Walk up to 100’ at a time to access printer and fax machine.
Sitting Sit for up to 3 hours at a time to drive, complete desk work, etc.
Lifting Lift up to 5# file from 7-53” and carry up to 50’ to place at 29” desk.
Carrying Carry 5# file up to 50’.
Pushing Push or pull up to 26# at 7-53” to access filing cabinets.
Pulling Push or pull up to 26# at 7-53” to access filing cabinets.
Gripping Grip up to 10# (wide grip) to pull files from cabinet at 7-53”.
Hand Coordination Hand coordination to write, operate keyboard or telephone and handle applications.
The candidate must be willing to relocate within the Des Moines area. Some travel is required. Prior to any offer of employment, the candidate must submit to a criminal background check and a drug and alcohol test. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Join a team of dedicated professionals who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our members. If you are interested in sharing your experience, knowledge, and have an interest in teaching, you are encouraged to apply for this opportunity. IAMU offers an excellent benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
Salary $85,000-$100,000 based upon experience. IAMU is an EOE with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Please submit cover letter, resume and references to:
Dawn Hyler, Business Manager
Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities
1735 NE 70th Ave, Ankeny, IA 50021-9353