"To support and strengthen Iowa's municipal utilities."
Organized in 1947, the Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities today is the largest organization of its kind in the country.
IAMU represents 755 municipal broadband, electric, gas, and water utilities statewide, and maintains a marketing relationship with a large number of associate member businesses.
Municipal utility activities of the association include:
- Representation of municipal utility interests before the Iowa Legislature
- Administration of disaster assistance and mutual aid programs
- Model plans, rules and ordinances to assist in compliance with state and federal requirements
- Assistance in the formulation and implementation of energy efficiency programs
- A wide range of educational classes and workshops held both at IAMU’s Training & Office Complex and in various other locations across Iowa, including member utility facilities.
- Administration of anti-drug programs
- Liability insurance plan
- Member communications via news e-blasts, emails and web site
- Co-sponsorship of the Iowa Public Agency Investment Trust (IPAIT)